This blog was created for my graduate course called Creativity & Innovation. We were able to choose a "pet project" that we wanted to write about with the purpose of engaging and connecting to others. I would love to hear your comments. Thank you for "listening" to my story.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Major Meltdown

Have you ever tried to put on a brave face just to have a complete meltdown later on? Or tried to hold your emotions in, but sooner or later they have gotten the better of you and you just have to let it out?

I reached that point about a week and a half into Carson's stay in the NICU/Progressive NICU.

Looking back, I'm surprised it took that long to have my first major meltdown. It probably should have happened the day I left the hospital. But it didn't and I think I know why.

Brent and I were both trying to put on our brave faces for each other. Or at least I was. I cannot speak for him, but this is what I did.

I tried to put on my brave face because if I melted down, I thought, it would be too hard to get back to being positive again. That if I just lost it, then that meant I was feeling sorry for myself, when other babies were in a tougher situation than our daughter. I felt like I needed to stay positive for Carson. Even though I wasn't with her 24/7, I felt that she could feel my energy. I didn't want any negative energy around her. Only positive thoughts. I wanted her to feel 100% love, support, and confidence that everything was going to be okay.

But it did not feel that way all the time. And that's when I couldn't keep it in anymore.

We were driving home from the hospital. Carson had a setback. She had a Brady-apnea, so that meant at least another seven days in the hospital. As we were driving home, Brent asked me, "What was I thinking?" (Because I'm always thinking about something.) I told him, "I just feel like crying." He said three simple words, "Let it out."

And oh, did I.

I mean, huge, big tears. Tears that make you have to grasp for breath. I think I cried all the way home. And I screamed. Because not only was I sad. But I was pissed. Pissed that my healthy pregnancy turned out this way. I was mad that my maternity leave was spent two weeks in the hospital before Carson was born and how many days in the hospital afterwards. I was mad that I may not get the time I wanted or needed with my daughter before I had to go back to work (thankfully, my employer at the time was AMAZING!)

So I had the full range of emotions of being sad, mad and just downright angry. I felt like I had gotten robbed. Robbed of valuable time with my daughter. And I didn't like it. I wanted it fixed.

But what I learned from that moment is that I needed a good cry. I needed to get those feelings out because I wouldn't have been able to keep them in. I think I needed to show my husband what I was feeling, so he could understand - even though I think he did understand. And once I let it all out, I felt so much better. When it was over, I felt this huge stress lifted from my shoulders. I felt so much better and I could believe again that everything would be okay.

5 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean chica....great post!

    -Scott (your neighbor)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to get your insights on your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears for you, my friend. It showed such bravery for you to break down and cry like that. And I'm sure that was a very bonding moment for you and your husband too. It's important to share your fears and pain with those you love. Your post will give so many new mommies permission to let it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for showing the world that sometimes the strongest thing you can do is give yourself a break. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Kim and Kristen!!! That means so much to me!!

    ReplyDelete