This blog was created for my graduate course called Creativity & Innovation. We were able to choose a "pet project" that we wanted to write about with the purpose of engaging and connecting to others. I would love to hear your comments. Thank you for "listening" to my story.

Friday, June 17, 2011

The Next Five Days

The next five days were the same routine.



Through the night, I would get up and pump.

(And people would say, "Oh, you must be getting sleep, since Carson is not home yet. First, wrong thing to say to me. Second, no, I am not getting sleep because I have to get up every two to three hours to make sure my child has food. Third, I much rather have my child home.)


My mom and I would get to the hospital by 9am for the previous mentioned routine for the day. And depending upon the day, we would either stay until 12pm or go run some errands and be back by 3pm. I at least wanted to see Carson twice a day, if not more. One thing we could not plan for was that if we did get there, sometimes, the NICU would be closed because they were operating or needed to discuss sensitive information to parents. So my vote was usually to stay as long as we could, since you didn't know if you would miss out later on in the day.


Please remember, my mom still hadn't held Carson, since we wanted to keep Carson "germ-free". Well, we were nearing five days in the NICU and the nurses were telling us that it looked really good that she would be moved to the Progressive NICU. I thought, "Wow, so soon!! This is wonderful!!"
Since Carson was doing so well, and my mom had been with me, I really wanted my mom to experience that Grandmother (but she goes by Gia) - Granddaughter bond. My mom held Carson on the fourth day in NICU.


And it was magical.




Have you had a moment like that with a daughter, son, niece, nephew, cousin, or best friend's child?





Gia holding her special grandbaby.





Gia and Carson





My mom wears her mother's wedding ring, so I felt like my Grandma was there. Carson's middle name is my Grandma's first name, Marie.

1 comment:

  1. Truly a magical moment when your grandmother & your Mom (Gia) held little Carson Marie. I have no doubt your grandmother was right there with all of you. Lovely... (Patti)

    ReplyDelete