This blog was created for my graduate course called Creativity & Innovation. We were able to choose a "pet project" that we wanted to write about with the purpose of engaging and connecting to others. I would love to hear your comments. Thank you for "listening" to my story.

Friday, May 20, 2011

When We Can't Communicate Ourselves

When I first got admitted into the hospital, I didn't want to tell anyone on Facebook or e-mail. I remember making a conscious decision not to go online. The only people I told right away, well, my husband made the phone calls, I was not in a state to do that, were my boss (since I wasn't going to be at work anymore) and my mom. I knew people would want to know, but I just wasn't ready to start explaining everything. I hadn't even begun comprehending it myself. How was I suppose to answer everyone's questions when I had so many of my own? I wanted the answers. I knew I wouldn't be able to answer their questions, and I knew they would have just as many as I did. Plus, it just didn't feel right to put in my status update "Uh-oh, looks like Baby H is going to come earlier than expected" or "Emergency run to the hospital." I think of consequences, so I could only imagine what was going to happen. I didn't want to go there. But I knew I needed to communicate to friends and family.

Luckily, one of my good friends in Charlotte called me. Little did she know where I was. The conversation started off totally normal. Voice calm. Like it was any other day at the office. Then my friend asked about our plans for that evening. "Well, about that...." is how I responded. My husband jokes that this particular friend's nickname is Paul Revere. She really isn't that big of a gossip, but I knew I was in good hands if "Paul Revere" could share my story for me. And that day she did and it was a huge favor to Brent and me.

I really didn't want to be on the phone at all nor did I want to be on my computer. She did all of the hard work for us by calling our closest friends - she even beat me to calling my girlfriends in Texas! Afterwards, she rallied our friends with items for me to keep me entertained in the hospital and even coordinated a dinner schedule once we got Carson home.

I really cannot thank her enough. "Paul Revere" has been such a great friend and has helped so much over the past year. I am truly blessed with fabulous friends and family who stood by my side and prayed for our family and kept us in their thoughts while we were beginning this difficult time.

If you have a similar experience, what did your friends or family do for you? Give them a little shout-out here. If you haven't gone through this particular situation, what has someone done for you that makes you go, "man, I am so lucky that they want to be my friend?" Friends and family are awesome; let's show them a little love here.

5 comments:

  1. Way to go Paul(a)! When I was going through a particularly difficult personal time. Normally, when that happens to me I reach out to friends, but this time was so awful and I felt so broken that instead I shutdown. A GF from college did the absolutely best thing. She kept calling, even when I didn't answer. She always just chatted about normal stuff and even when I didn't say much she kept talking. We didn't normally talk that often, but she was the only person who treated me like there wasn't something wrong. Her bright, beautiful outlook on life helped me. Whenever I think of her I think of bright sunshine yellow. That is why I call her sunshine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to have a publicist in life, especially for times like these when the news isn't easy to share. I have a friend who is the queen of communicating and organizing. She is like an unpaid therapist, publicist, event planner, and info line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't friends amazing like that?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always call my closest friends my personal angels, because they always know exactly what I need and when I need it without me having to utter a word. They truly are my wings and I would be lost in this world without them. What a blessing for you during such a significant time in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recall when we were in the final month before our move from Seattle to Charlotte. I was a pastor in a large church and my wife was 8 months pregnant. I was starting to get overwhelmed with dinner invites. Desperately wanting to avoid offending anyone, I was struggling with balancing my pastoral obligations with my family and endless moving duties. A wonderful friend and church receptionist(Juli) noticed my plight and immediately confiscated my cell phone and began screening my calls. Additionally, Juli planned a goodbye dinner where the whole church was invited. Over 700 people attended and thanks to Juli, we were able to move and have the baby in Charlotte as planned.

    ReplyDelete